Monday, April 12, 2010

Keeping the happily in ever after

Jacob was in love with Rachel and said, "I'll work for you [Laban] seven years in return for your younger daughter Rachel."
Genesis 29:18 (NIV)


Someday my prince will come; someday I'll find my love,
And how thrilling that moment will be
When the prince of my dreams comes to me.
He'll whisper "I love you" and steal a kiss or two.
Though he's far away, I'll find my love someday,
Someday when my dreams come true.

Someday I'll find my love, someone to call my own,
And I'll know her the moment we meet,
For my heart will start skipping a beat.
Someday we'll say and do things we've been longing to.
Though she's far away, I'll find my love someday,
Someday when my dreams comes true.*

Aaahhh. Every little girl's dream--someday her prince will come. They'll fall in love. Wedding bells will ring. He'll whisk her away to his castle and together they'll live happily ever after. I met my prince 29 years ago on April 10. We were married May 1, one year later.

Bob is a loving, faithful husband and an affectionate, devoted father. He is a generous provider and a kindhearted friend. When it comes to working around the house, he's great at "ripping up" things. More importantly, he's absolutely fantastic at putting them back together in better than original condition!

When we entered into our covenant relationship, I doubt that either of us appreciated the kind of spiral that would lead our original commitment to a deeper, richer love. It's something that has developed during the years and involved grace, which has shown itself in forgiveness, that has led to serving each other.

Not surprising, when we think about service in marriage, it's often how another person should serve us. Service is usually linked to power. If someone is serving me, then I have power over that person; if I serve another, he has power over me. But that is the opposite of how service growing out of grace should look.

Love and grace lead to serving the other person rather than being served. We don't use power over another person but use power on behalf of another. As a result, mutual submission leads to a wife and a husband who empower one another to be what God wants each one to be.

In his letter to the Ephesians, the apostle Paul wrote, "Wives submit to your husbands as to the Lord...Husbands, love your wives just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her." (Ephesians 5:21-33) If anything in this concept seems like weakness, this is precisely what Jesus has done for us. He serves His church by dying for it and living for it.

Marriage for anyone can be challenging at times, no matter how much in love you are. Bob and I have had our ups and downs and we'll experience more in the years to come. The plain and simple truth is, however, I'd marry that guy all over again if I could! And, that would be thrilling indeed.

Blessings, dear friend.
Faithfully Following

*Someday My Prince Will Come
Words & Music by Larry Morey & Frank Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment