Sunday, March 14, 2010

Intercede

Christ Jesus, who died--more than that, who was raised to life--is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.
Romans 8:34b

Given the billions of people who live on earth at this moment, plus all who have gone before and all who are still to come, it is mind-boggling that all of these at the same time are in the conscious mind of God.

That thought is included in a 2010 Lenten Devotions that I'm currently reading. The writer, Rev. Clark Gies, Director of Discipleship at Lutheran Association of Missionaries and Pilots U.S., calls this belief a divine mystery. He goes on to say, "And this we also know and believe, that Jesus, Our High Priest, even now is in the heavens, making intercession for you and for me." The morning I read Rev. Gies' material, I didn't realize how his words would play a role in my day.

Right on schedule my cell phone's unique ringtone signaled my daughter's morning phone call. I picked up the phone from where it lay on my desk, pushed talk, and greeted her cheerfully, "Good morning, sunshine. What's happening in your world today?"

Between heavy sobs, my precious college junior responded in broken phrases, "I just know I'm going to fail my exam today. I think I'm having a panic attack. Oh, mom. I just know I'm going to blow this test."

Man. Parenting a young adult is tough. Parenting a young adult at a distance is even harder. Parenting a young female adult living away at college...well, you get the idea. On top of all that, in this particular case I suspected my daughter was in her vehicle somewhere between her apartment and the college campus.

"Sweetheart, I want you to hear my words," I gently coaxed. Pausing for a second to confirm she heard me, I began interceding in prayer to the God of the universe on my daughter's behalf. When we ended our conversation a few minutes later, I still heard her muffled whimpers as our cell phones disconnected. Concerned, I rolled the office chair that I sat in away from my desk, bowed my head, and prayed again.

In What Happens When Women Pray, Evelyn Christenson tells of the time her church's custodian struggled to vacuum their auditorium. Finishing the project dripping with perspiration, the dear man realized he didn't have the vacuum's electrical cord plugged in an outlet! Christenson writes, "We work, we pull, we struggle, and we plan until we're utterly exhausted, but we have forgotten to plug into the source of the power. At that source of power is prayer--the 'effectual, fervent prayer' of a righteous person that avails much."

We must never underestimate the value of praying with or on behalf of others. The right hand of God is the place of authority and honor. Christ is still at the right of God today, interceding for us. Added to that, we have His promise that He will be with us, "for where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them" (Matthew 18:20).

God was very gracious to my daughter. Later in the day, I received a text message from her that read, "I did so good on my test!!!!!" Now, that's the kind of note a mother loves to receive long distance!

Friend, "the prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective" (James 5:6b). I pray you plug into that power today!

Blessings, dear friend.
Faithfully Following

No comments:

Post a Comment