Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It's all in the position

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”

1 Peter 5:6-7


“Overwhelmed, stressed out, and on my knees looking up,” tumbled out of my mouth before I even gave much thought to my co-worker’s question as to how things were going.


Our sixth move was particularly hard for me. Physically separated from my husband for nine months as he began a new job, I wrestled with disappointment at leaving our son behind to finish his senior year in college. Between making plans for our daughter’s high school graduation and visiting various college campuses, I juggled the sale of a house in one state while attempting to negotiate at a distance the purchase of another in our new location. I loved my full-time job. Although it was very demanding, I knew I would soon be leaving it; and I worked hard at not adopting a short-timer’s mentality. Thoughts of giving up a wonderful church family were also weighing on my heart.


If this wasn’t enough, my daddy was struggling with Alzheimer’s disease at the time, and self-imposed guilt about not living closer to my family to help care for him did not help. Why in the world I chose to begin a weight-loss program at this point in my life is beyond me!


Are you familiar with Lladro from Spain figurines? If so, I’m sure you recognize the beauty of these pieces crafted from the finest quality examples of art in porcelain. Artists start a new idea or theme of a figurine and draftsmen and sculptors use their talents making each design come to life.


Through a careful expression of style and use of soft, bluish tones, individually-designed pieces portray messages appreciated by people from all walks of life. Where a Santa Claus figurine stands ready for delivery with list in one hand and bag of goodies in the other, the relaxing pose of a little girl dressed in a mouse costume gives Restful Mouse an appearance of peace and tranquility. Nina Communion is one of my favorite figurines. Kneeling, deep in prayer, with a serene facial expression, the image comes alive modeling a tender, reverent heart.


In the short New Testament book of 1 Peter, the Apostle Peter has a lot to say about Christian life and duties. Peter speaks of suffering, pilgrimage, courage, and hope; and he says he has written “encouraging you and testifying that this is the true grace of God” (1 Peter 5:12). The Apostle urges us in 1 Peter 5:7 to cast all our anxieties on God because He cares for us. In the verse prior, he also tells us the position we should assume and why. “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand,” Peter writes. Why? That in due time, He may lift us up.


Are stresses in your life swallowing up your energy? Are you feeling pressured by everything that's happening around you?


God’s grace is abundant (John 1:16; 2 Corinthians 12:8-10). Humility and humbleness of heart before Him are sure routes to His blessings (Proverbs 3:34). May we have calloused knees and the tips of our shoes worn as we come before Him overwhelmed, stressed out, and on our knees looking up.


Blessings, my friend.

Faithfully Following



No comments:

Post a Comment